CHICAGO – May 17, 2018 – Aon, a leading global professional services firm providing a broad range of risk, retirement and health solutions, is launching an innovative approach to help U.S. employers make more educated, data-driven decisions on their provider cost and quality strategies.
Leveraging this industry-leading data, Aon’s market analysis enables employers to:
- Have a clearer understanding of the cost and quality variances for specific procedures across providers in select market(s)
- Implement specific design, incentive, network strategies to increase use of providers that deliver the most efficient combination of cost and quality
- Validate existing and potential future provider network strategies
- Measure the financial outcomes and cost trajectories of their existing health care strategies over time
“Evaluating provider strategies has been challenging for most employers, primarily because existing provider cost and quality data is not transparent and often subjective,” notes Will Sneden, US Health leader at Aon. “Aon is the first company to combine both cost and quality metrics sourced independently from leading health technology companies in a way that gives employers more visibility into the providers that can deliver the most efficient combination of cost and quality to their employees.”
The launch of Aon’s new market analysis comes at a critical time for organizations as they continue to look for new ways to measure and manage the effectiveness of their health care expenditures. Aon’s research shows that 28 percent of employers currently incent participants to high-quality hospitals/physicians for specific conditions through plan design or lower costs. An additional 58 percent of employers are interested in implementing this strategy in the next three-to-five years.
“Accessing independent, quality data has been an ongoing challenge, and employers have limited information about the specific price levels or procedure-level quality of providers in their local markets,” noted Jim Winkler, global chief innovation officer of Health at Aon.
Aon’s market analysis features data sets from two industry-leading health care service providers:
- Aggregated medical cost data on high-volume medical procedures from Amino, a leading digital health company. Amino’s dataset captures nearly $2 trillion of claims volume for 220 million Americans covering virtually all facilities and practicing doctors in the US.
- Robust surgery quality scores from MPIRICA, a leading company that measures health care outcomes. Their MPIRICA Quality Scores include analyses of more than 123,400 surgeons and nearly 5,000 hospitals nationwide.
Aon’s market analysis is currently available in select markets and for select procedures. Additional markets and data for additional procedures will be added in the coming months.
“There are differences among health care providers that matter, and we at Amino have spent the past few years amassing an unprecedented database that brings to light these differences along the fundamental dimensions of quality, experience, and cost. In addition to leveraging this data to empower employees with our transparency products, we’re delighted to work with Aon to further engage employers as they devise strategies for safer and more affordable care for their teams,” said David Vivero, CEO of Amino.
“Our team’s published research reveals which providers in your area have the best track record of quality outcomes for the specific procedure you need.” said Shakil Haroon, CEO and founder of MPIRICA. “I am thrilled with Aon industry leadership in leveraging condition-specific quality measures and look forward to working with their team to increase employee safety and decrease employer health care costs through a validated, scientific methodology.”
Aon plc (NYSE:AON) is a leading global professional services firm providing a broad range of risk, retirement and health solutions. Our 50,000 colleagues in 120 countries empower results for clients by using proprietary data and analytics to deliver insights that reduce volatility and improve performance.
For further information on our capabilities and to learn how we empower results for clients, please visit http://aon.mediaroom.com.
Aon - Maurissa Kanter, email@example.com